Ekahau has released a new RFID tag called the T-301. This new tag is 40% smaller than their previous tags and includes a tamper switch that sounds an alarm if someone tries to remove the tag. Like previous tags, the T-301 includes a motion sensor that turns off the sensor's radio when not in motion. This feature can extend batter life in some applications to as much as 5 years.
The new tag is intended for both asset and patient/staff tracking. The tag can be attached using double-side tape, cable tie or carried by a person in pocket or by using a wristband. From the Ekahau web site:
- Very low power consumption provides battery life up to 5 years.
- Intelligent motion sensor that activates the tag only when the tracked object is moving.
- Works in any standard 802.11 b/g wireless network infrastructure.
wireless configuration and management remotely anywhere within the
wireless network coverage area. The remote management automates
configuration changes, battery level monitoring and even tag software
- Two programmable buttons that can be configured to send alarms or other messages to applications.
- Optical tamper switch to trigger an alarm on tamper or theft.
- Two LEDs and a buzzer that can be remotely activated.